9/9/2010 7:00:56 PM
the West Coast Premiere of
YES SVETLANA, THERE IS A GRANDFATHER FROST
Written by Jeff Goode
“In the dark days of the young Soviet Union one desperate figure represents all the moral decay and decadence of the West. His name? Santa Claus!”
With warm holiday tones author Jeff Goode explores the incredible event, which now seems almost laughable, but was, in reality, a serious effort on the part of the new regime to remove all references to Christmas and Santa Claus, and led to the creation of an alternate - Grandfather Frost – who was said to come bearing gifts in celebration of the Russian New Year. Combining all the conflicts and emotions inherent in the operation and management of a urban Russian newspaper in the early 1950s, the personalities of the staff, passions of the Holiday Season, and the oppression of the “official state” scrutiny, the story unfolds with wit, spirit and energy as we watch the struggle to discover and reveal the public truth at the peril of our private innocence.
- A political comedy written by SkyPilot resident playwright Jeff Goode, critically acclaimed author of LOVE LOVES A PORNOGRAPHOR at Circle X Theatre and THE REINDEER MONOLOGUES at Change Theatre.
- Produced by SkyPilot Theatre Company, critically acclaimed for such productions as THE END OF CIVILIZATION, REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT, HELLCAB, TAKING SIDES and JERRY AND TOM.
- Directed by Gideon Potter, renowned for such productions as SEX, DRUGS AND MINI-VANS, and the World Premiere of HIGHEST STATE OF ALERT, both at Two Roads Theatre and his critically acclaimed one-man mask touring comedy THE WONDER FAIRE, in which he also performs.
- Starring Lisa Younger, Erika Godwin, James Sharpe, Eric Curtis Johnson, Bob Rusch and Benton Jennings.
- Performances are at the Luna Playhouse, the new home of SkyPilot Theatre Company, 3706 San Fernando Rd., Glendale CA 91204. November 13 thru December 19, 2010. Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 7pm. To buy tickets go to www.SkyPilotTheatre.com or call 800-838-3006. Presale: $12.50, $15 at door.
SkyPilot Theatre Company (a non-profit organization) is concentrated solely on bringing the most compelling, challenging and humorous new works of stage art to Los Angeles. SPTC’s writers, directors, designers and performers mutually realize our amazing role as a contributor of the living performance and we appreciate that nearly 90% of all work being staged in Los Angeles is produced by small theatre companies. With this in mind, SPTC has redefined our mission and enthusiastically drives our company to stand out and proudly compete with this age of digital entertainment to bring our audience an authentic and moving theatre experience.
For more info or to make a donation call Marina Kokorina at 213-840-2865.
Professional comps or press call Joan Turner at 310- 266-4679.
To make a donation online go to www.SkyPilotTheatre.com and click “support” then follow the simple directions.